But when it comes to marketing and sales speak, what you say has little to do with your success, according to Blogger Dan Waldschmidt.
“Most of what you say will get ignored, reframed, explained away or downplayed by the person listening to you,” he says in a recent blog. “Because they have their own agenda, the words you use don’t really matter unless the persons listening chooses to let them matter.”
Here are Waldschmidt’s tips for getting people to listen:
- Ask more questions than you make statements.
- Don’t pretend to be somebody that you’re not.
- If things “don’t make sense”, say so.
- Talk about the “elephant in the room” first.
- Look between the lines for personal issues.
- Care on the inside.
To read the full blog post, click here.